Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RobinLeigh
Admin
RobinLeigh

On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. Empty
PostSubject: On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.   On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. I_icon_minitimeSat May 10, 2014 6:42 am

Let me start with this image, and explain why:

On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. A95FC186-0F1F-4022-9524-126A4693A67D

I'm a long term Cosmo subscriber.  Articles like this make my day.  Jenny Mollen has to be a triple threat in order to have landed Jason Biggs.  What do I mean by triple threat?  Pretty, talented, and the ability to take a joke.  

I know I'm not the only one who's heard that "50 Shades of Grey will change your life!".  One, it didn't.  I hated Twilight, loathed it, and I dunno why I thought 50 Shades--a Twilight fanfic revamped--would be any different, but I just HAD to read it.  For the record, I own a copy of all four Twilight books, and I am kicking myself for wasting my hard earned money.  

Two, after soldiering through the entirety of the book and hoping against hope to find something--ANYTHING--redeeming, I had to resist the urge to send my iPod touch careening across the living room in a fit of rage upon finishing it on my Kindle app.  In fact, the first thing I did was get in touch with Tina (motorcityxlove), and together we commiserated over how godawful a book it was.  I made it through book 1, and I refused to go any further in the series because the ending pissed me off that much.  Yeah, it was THAT bad.

So when I received my issue of Cosmo earlier today, and I saw this, I prepared for yet another article singing the praises of E.L. James (insert massive eyeroll here).  To my surprise?  This was a tale of why 50 Shades isn't for everyone.  And for the record?  I can really appreciate the honesty with which Jenny Mollen talked about her marriage.  It makes her seem super relatable in my eyes, and I'm now eager to go out and buy her book--and so should all of you!

For the record, Jenny's article starts on page 56 of the June issue of Cosmopolitan, which you should all also pick up a copy of.
Back to top Go down
http://robinleigh.yolasite.com
motorcityxlove
Admin
motorcityxlove

PostSubject: Re: On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.   On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Jenny Mollen is awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed reading her article, and I thought her perspective was very interesting. And she handled the situation well.

When I first heard about the book, I was pretty intrigued. I did not hear beforehand that it was a Twilight fic revamped. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have read it. I read it because of the premise--BDSM is something I'm very much into and very passionate about, and I love speaking and reading about the subject--and I thought it would be hot. Oh, how I was wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG. To say I was disappointed would be a HUGE understatement. I was so mad.

Robin (RobinLeigh) & I were both at a level of pissed off that we rarely reach. I will not be reading the other books, and I will definitely NOT be seeing the movie. The fact that this book was published made me so mad. SO mad. Seriously, this is my chosen field of study, and the book is a mockery of it. I could rant for hours about it.

But Jenny is hilarious, and I'm glad that she learned something from what happened.
Back to top Go down
http://ask.fm/motorcityxlove
RobinLeigh
Admin
RobinLeigh

PostSubject: Re: On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.   On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 4:31 pm

motorcityxlove wrote:
Jenny Mollen is awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed reading her article, and I thought her perspective was very interesting. And she handled the situation well.

When I first heard about the book, I was pretty intrigued. I did not hear beforehand that it was a Twilight fic revamped. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have read it. I read it because of the premise--BDSM is something I'm very much into and very passionate about, and I love speaking and reading about the subject--and I thought it would be hot. Oh, how I was wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG. To say I  was disappointed would be a HUGE understatement. I was so mad.

Robin (RobinLeigh) & I were both at a level of pissed off that we rarely reach. I will not be reading the other books, and I will definitely NOT be seeing the movie. The fact that this book was published made me so mad. SO mad. Seriously, this is my chosen field of study, and the book is a mockery of it. I could rant for hours about it.

But Jenny is hilarious, and I'm glad that she learned something from what happened.

I should've listened when you warned me. Damn my curiosity.
Back to top Go down
motorcityxlove
Admin
motorcityxlove

PostSubject: Re: On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.   On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 4:39 pm

RobinLeigh wrote:
motorcityxlove wrote:

When I first heard about the book, I was pretty intrigued. I did not hear beforehand that it was a Twilight fic revamped. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have read it. I read it because of the premise--BDSM is something I'm very much into and very passionate about, and I love speaking and reading about the subject--and I thought it would be hot. Oh, how I was wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG. To say I  was disappointed would be a HUGE understatement. I was so mad.

I should've listened when you warned me.  Damn my curiosity.

I have a morbid curiosity too. But, in hindsight, I'm glad you read it, because now you understand my anger.
Back to top Go down
RobinLeigh
Admin
RobinLeigh

PostSubject: Re: On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.   On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 4:45 pm

motorcityxlove wrote:
RobinLeigh wrote:
motorcityxlove wrote:

I have a morbid curiosity too. But, in hindsight, I'm glad you read it, because now you understand my anger.

I'm all about plot. Gratuitous smut for the sake of smut that doesn't make sense to the plot irritates me. And that's exactly what this was. Furthermore, Anastasia is vapid, possibly moreso than Bella Swan.
Back to top Go down
motorcityxlove
Admin
motorcityxlove

PostSubject: Re: On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.   On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 4:50 pm

RobinLeigh wrote:
motorcityxlove wrote:
RobinLeigh wrote:
motorcityxlove wrote:

I'm all about plot.  Gratuitous smut for the sake of smut that doesn't make sense to the plot irritates me.  And that's exactly what this was.  Furthermore, Anastasia is vapid, possibly moreso than Bella Swan.

While I was reading, I was wondering whether or not the author had actually done any research. Anastasia is a freaking moron and an idiot. E.L. James bastardized the D/s relationship. She knew NOTHING about what it was like, absolutely nothing, and I was furious. And the smut wasn't even that good. I've read better smut in fanfiction.
Back to top Go down
RobinLeigh
Admin
RobinLeigh

PostSubject: Re: On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.   On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 4:52 pm

motorcityxlove wrote:
RobinLeigh wrote:
motorcityxlove wrote:
RobinLeigh wrote:
motorcityxlove wrote:

I'm all about plot.  Gratuitous smut for the sake of smut that doesn't make sense to the plot irritates me.  And that's exactly what this was.  Furthermore, Anastasia is vapid, possibly moreso than Bella Swan.

While I was reading, I was wondering whether or not the author had actually done any research. Anastasia is a freaking moron and an idiot. E.L. James bastardized the D/s relationship. She knew NOTHING about what it was like, absolutely nothing, and I was furious. And the smut wasn't even that good. I've read better smut in fanfiction.

Not to toot my own horn here, but I've written better smut in fanfiction.
Back to top Go down
motorcityxlove
Admin
motorcityxlove

PostSubject: Re: On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.   On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 5:02 pm

RobinLeigh wrote:
motorcityxlove wrote:
RobinLeigh wrote:
motorcityxlove wrote:
RobinLeigh wrote:
motorcityxlove wrote:

Not to toot my own horn here, but I've written better smut in fanfiction.

Yes, you do!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.   On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

On the topic of 50 Shades of Grey.
Page 1 of 1